Search This Blog

Sunday 3 April 2011

The term collective intelligence was another new term to add to my vocabulary this week. Initially I thought it sounded like something that exists in outer space but who knew that it was right here in front of me as part of the main medium of communication I use every day. One of the advantages would be the sharing of ideas and knowledge to produce a common product. The more one learns then the more others may be encouraged to find out. Once again, though, critical literacy becomes a major component of learning that students need to have in order to determine the value of this form of intelligence gathering.

With regard to wikipedia. I think it is a fantastic resource to use as a base for obtaining information, particularly within a classroom. However, it needs to kept in mind that in an educational context, it is not the only or definitive source of information and further research on a topic needs to be carried out. Wikipedia, a vast source of wide ranging information, does not have the edited feel to it that would occur with a published text due to the number and purpose of the contributors. Another point to consider in terms of critical literacy and teaching of text formation.

I am still trying to grasp the concept of wikis and I would have to have a lot more experience with them before I could use them in the classroom but I can certainly see how the collarborative and collective nature would be advantageous. In particular, I loved the example illustrated in class whereby the sample demonstrated how a particular teacher provided the students with the topics under discussion and as the students learned about the topic and posted their findings, the collaboration and path of learning that emerged was very encouraging.

This week I have endeavoured to try and embed something onto my blog. To date I have been unsuccessful but it is one of my aims this week that I will know by the Tuesday pm, who knows maybe I might find out yet today!

1 comment:

  1. You make some really good points about the need to handle Wikipedia carefully, and in particular the need to help students acquire 'information literacy' or 'critical literacy'. We'll have more to say about this as the semester moves on ...

    If you need a hand with embedding videos or widgets, let me know on Tues afternoon.

    ReplyDelete