Search This Blog

Monday 9 May 2011

Let's look for ......

Had I been asked, prior to our previous ICT session about search engines, I probably would have been heard to say “there is only one and that is google!”.  I think that the Learning with New Technologies class is now beginning to illustrate to me that one can really become very boxed in with regard to what facilities they use while online. The class has highlighted the importance of going beyond what one would use every day to see if there is anything out there that would work better or be more suitable for example using tag galaxy to search for images of a particular interest rather than just googling as I would have done before. I think it is good to consider information literacy here too. There is more to information literacy than students being aware of online information that is valid and trustworthy, we also need to have them be aware that there may be a better or more appropriate online resource that can assist them in their specific search. Often advertising, what your parents do can influence the way you use something so it is important to stay on the pulse of what is out there to be utilised.
It is also interesting to note that search engines can store the information searched by a person with the intention of bringing forth the most suited information for you. When reading a review of J. Battelle’s book on Google, I thought the following was a good synopsis of what a search engine should do for someone “searching reveals a culture of who we are and how we think and feel”.

4 comments:

  1. I agree that information literacy is more than it first seems. I hadn't thought about it in terms of being more aware of a greater variety of online tools, but you are right. Google has such a monopoly on search, it is great to be exposed to alternatives that we can use to better suit individual needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago, I replaced the term "search" with "google" and it has become part of my everyday speech. I too, am only just starting to realise that there are other options out there, especially for students!

    I am alittle concerned that google uses our preferences for advertisers! In reality, nothing is free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Lexie. How many of us say "I will just google it". I to only ever used Google, however from reading all your posts I realise there is more to the search than Googling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you're right - there's a danger that we just keep going back to the online services and resources we already know, and miss out on what might sometimes be better (more specific, more tailored, more user-friendly) alternatives. As Lexie suggests, a lot of people now use 'to google' as the equivalent of 'to search'.

    I agree with Liz, too, that Mary's notion of including the range of online tools under 'information literacy' is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete