Search This Blog

Sunday 22 May 2011

Should be called "Brain overload"!

I have to admit that prior to commencing this course, if anyone had asked me about dealing with information overload I would probably have given some offhand remark like "time management" or "organisation" is all that is required. The thing is I am an organised person or perhaps "control freak" as as my sister calls it and I have to say that organisation and time management just doesn't cut it. Interesting to note really when we are considered mature and one would think that we should be experienced enough in life to "filter" what it is we need to focus on !

It seems to be the simple things that cause the greatest grief. Only recently, have I become aware that when I commence an assignment, rather than focusing on one element of the topic, my mind wanders and I could start researching four/five/six other aspects to it at the same time. The end result  being 10 tabs opened within Internet Explorer as well as numerous pdfs, word documents etc. and a befuddled mind. I have tried to stop that from happening, yet as I type this blog, I have 7 tabs open as well as a word doc and a document folder, but I admit it is a work in progress.

Not only do we have to deal with information available online, we also have to think about not just the information online, but the information transmitted by television, radio, marketing campaigns. All of this, in my opinion, affects adults much more so than children for the simple reason that adults are afraid that if they miss a piece of information or news it could cost them. Cost them what, I am not so sure!

From what I have seen, a lot of children are lucky in that they often have this ability to switch off and ignore what they don't want to hear or see, therefore they are not subjected to the same form of information overload as adults. I think that their definition of information overload would be different. By this I mean they may define it as lesson or teacher overload. Teachers can communicate information to students over the course of a lesson and the concept may be too difficult or may be too much and in that sense the student considers themselves overloaded. This we can control by modelling appropriate delivery of information and the format through which it is delivered.

If students begin to fall into the traps that we have fallen into in terms of feeling that they need to know everything that crosses their path, once again this is where we can have a role in terms of providing focus.

By the way, I watched the Clay Shirky video on youtube titled "It's not information overload, it's filter failure" and actually watched the full 23min clip. An interesting listen if anyone is interested. Click below if you are.

5 comments:

  1. I love your description about the myriad of tabs, pdfs and websites that you find on your browser when doing an assignments, as I am exactly the same at this very moment! I read somewhere recently that with us trying to keep our minds on so many things at once, we only brush over everything, and as a consequence our attention span and ability to focus on long texts is getting less and less. A bit of a worry! Maybe it will be so second nature to the upcoming generation information overload won't effect them the same way it does us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked reading your blog this week. I am exactly the same right now. I have far too many tabs open and attempting to work on different assignments all at once.

    It is interesting that you pointed out that lots of children have the ability to switch off and ignore information. I agree with Liz that the upcoming generation probably won't be affected with information overload to the extent that we are. However, I do think a negative consequence of having children being constantly bombarded with a stream of stimuli and frequently switching tasks will be children with shortened attention spans. This will ultimately affect their ability to focus and learn in school as well as make our role as educators even more challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there!

    I have to agree with Kris. As a mother of young teenagers, they are struggling with information overload and they are struggling with filtering and they are struggling with concentration.

    My husband and I noticed this a year or so ago and as a result we deliberately take the children away form technology for two to three weeks a year to just give them a break. It is hard for them as they struggle with the concept of stillness and just enjoying the moment.

    This ability to take them away will now no longer happen as they are older and will have to work it out for themselves. I can now only suggest that they take a break.

    Yes Kris it is going to be a challenge for educators and parents.

    Oh btw (Mark's language) I like your new background Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi mary and commentators,
    this information overload and the change in our attention span is an interesting one. I watched a show recently that was discussing this whole ebook debate and they were saying this "divided attention" we are all developing may become a problem. Their argument was the brain is this evolving mass that is being rewired by this short, sharp, distracted culture, and so as a race we may lose the ability to think deeply - and creatively (and it is deep, solitary, focused thought that creates great art, music, literature etc). I'm sure it won't happen in our lifetimes, but it is true that many kids now can't focus long enough to read a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what to say! Being the fifth person makes it hard to comment as I agree with parts of everyone's comments. I do agree it is more of "filter failure" than information overload as a lot of adults do not want to cut certain "information" from their lives as they may "miss out on something". As Mary has said "what will they be missing out on or what will it cost them?" Sometimes it comes down to, "well I was doing fine before I had it and I will do okay without it".

    In regards to teaching. I feel because we are in the technological era there is too much to teach and not enough time and teachers are bombarding the children with too much. But will they need it all? Probably not. Maybe teachers need to get back to quality of content and not quantity and then children will have a better understanding and be more able to equip themselves with adding that extra information if they need it at a later date.

    Mary, love the new look of your blog! It is past midnight on Sunday May 29th and I am reading everyone's blog and making my final comments. Good luck with your grade on this assignment!

    Cheers

    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete