Search This Blog

Monday 30 May 2011

You want to put a chip in my brain? What the ....?

My thoughts on Virtual Worlds

Upon hearing and seeing some of the current developments happening in the world wide web, my facial expression reflected the statement "Oh, my God!" for the entire 90 minutes of class. Listening to how the web is transforming to become more intelligent over the coming decade was like watching a futuristic movie. I found it very difficult to wrap my primitive little mind around it. To think that some large web based corporations see a future where they could possibly place a chip into people's brains to tap into exactly what the person wants just about finished me off. It felt like we were ready and willing to hand over our minds to the digital devices. But I have to say some of the things seen astounded me like virtual worlds.

This class was also my first introduction into virtual worlds and although I found it difficult to grasp some of what is possible, I loved the capabilities of it. To think that we could bring students to a replica of the Louvre Museum or the Sistine Chapel, how fantastic to be able to do that within the classroom, for students who may never get there otherwise. Found this video on how second life could be used in education and learned a little more about how it could work in the class.


Augmented Reality

I do not own an iphone or android phone (yet!) so I find it very interesting looking at the nature of applications that are available and the information they provide. One particular application I thought would have great advantages for the purpose of school excursions is the augmented reality browser provided by junaio which provides you with information on all that surrounds you.

A couple of Concerns

My concern with an application like what junanio offers lies with privacy. I would not like to think that someone could look through the camera on their phone be able to find out information about me which is where this seems to be heading. It is as if there are no barriers anymore.

Also with regard to a point made during the class, that websites such as these require high speed internet. At present, schools have difficulties with their basic internet connections, so realistically are we going to be able to use these virtual worlds in our classes?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, I agree with you! Virtual worlds seem a little bit crazy and quite futuristic. But you are hardly primitive :) I know that I had the same reaction and had no idea that most of this technology was even out there!

    I really like the point that you made about the ability of schools to implement this technology. It would be incredibly difficult for the bulk of schools to finance virtual world resources and I think that a lot of these technologies will be utilised by schools which have the money to purchase and implement them. This will more than likely widen the gap between public school and the super exclusive private schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, Mary. I'm not sure about chips in my brain either - when I think about all the implications, it's a leap too far for me. I'd be really worried that someone might be able to use a computer virus to hack me!
    But the virtual worlds are great and as you say, so many teaching and learning opportunities, let's hope technology in schools keeps improving.

    ReplyDelete