Search This Blog

Tuesday 31 May 2011

Slán go fóill (Irish - Goodbye for now!)

Reading over my blog postings, I note that I chose to venture down the reflective path. I find this interesting considering that reflection would not be one of my strong points. Reading my postings and reflecting, once again, has shown me just how much I have absorbed and adjusted my mindset to becoming a more digitally minded teacher.

Initially, I could not see how the varying online services and technology could be introduced and used meaningfully in a classroom despite the fact that we are immersed in a digital age. I suppose we are still part of the generation that used the traditional tools of pens, paper, libraries to learn and we are carrying that with us through our teacher training and consoling ourselves with the notion "we did alright as a result". But how my outlook has changed.

As for the blog itself, I must admit that I have not exactly been "pro blog" over the last number of weeks because I often felt that I didn't have anything to say on the topic. However, once I began a posting each week I became consumed by it and sometimes it could take me three to four hours to post something. Now that I think about it, it was time well spent especially when I consider all that I have learned. For example - searching certain programs on the web, reading people's comments, reading articles and the advice of others teaching students all on the worldwide web. Even though not too adventurous, I did make a comic strip, became a little addicted to youtube, ventured into the world of digital storytelling (which I loved) and learned some other invaluable bits and pieces along the way like how to input a hyperlink and embed images/videos.

Although the blog has taught me a great deal, I think I am a wiki girl. Creating the resource for our second assignment has been rather an enjoyable experience and I am looking forward to being able to use it and integrate it within the classroom. After introducing some students to it last week and seeing their interest as well as hearing their questions about it, I have been at last convinced of the necessity to use these available tools to engage our students and help them learn.

This blog illustrates the learning journey I have undertaken since March and I am proud of it. Thanks Mark, who knew you could convert me!

No comments:

Post a Comment